Archive for March, 2011
We have just introduced an experimental new feature to our GWeb 2.0 UI that we are very excited about. Feature is called easy graph aggregation as it allows you to graph the same metric across a number of hosts. This is often useful when you are proactively looking for problems within your infrastructure. We have made the feature even more powerful by allowing you to specify a regular expression that matches multiple hosts so if all your database servers are named db-something you can simply say db as your regular expression or db-0[1-5]. This feature is experimental so if you match too many hosts you may end up with a broken image however we have decided to put it out as a preview where we are going. Obligatory screenshots
We need to add more error checking and bug fixes. Better composer UI and ability to add aggregate graphs to views. Stay tuned.
Ganglia has been around for over 10 years but it is surprising even to me that our Web Frontend has seen very little cosmetic changes over the years.
These are indeed challenging and interesting times for the project as we see a shift in the user base from the traditional High Performance Computing and Grid sites to large web 2.0 companies and companies in the Cloud space where hosts are dynamically provisioned.
For more in-depth description about this work, you can read Vladimir’s blog posts:
To play with the code, you can get it from GitHub.
We value your suggestions and feedback, so please don’t be shy and either tweet about it @gangliainfo, ping us on IRC #ganglia at irc.freenode.net or start an email thread at ganglia-developers mailing-list!
We would like to release this code soon to the public, but we need your help to implement additional features, test the code, etc. So if you are interested, please let us know!